Tuesday, May 10, 2011
15 chocolate and cream sandwich cookies (such as Oreo)
1 tablespoon milk
8 to 9 ice cream sandwiches, depending on size
1 pint Vanilla Ice Cream
1 pint Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
1 pint Chocolate Ice Cream
1 container (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
* You pick your favorite flavors and use them.
1. Coat bottom and side of a 9-inch round springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line side with waxed paper, using spray to help adhere to pan. Trim paper to height of pan.
2. Finely crush 12 of the cookies in a food processor. Add milk; pulse just until mixture holds together. Set aside.
3. Unwrap 4 ice cream sandwiches. Working quickly, cut each in quarters. Stack strips of sandwiches on end, packing them snugly together, around waxed-paper-lined pan. Repeat with remaining sandwiches to form a stand-up edge. Spoon cookie crumbs into center of pan; press firmly over bottom. Freeze 1 hour.
4. Remove all 3 flavors of ice cream or frozen yogurt from freezer and let soften for 15 minutes at room temperature. Transfer mint vanilla ice cream to a small bowl and stir until good but firm spreading consistency. Repeat with cookies & cream and chocolate. Remove pan from freezer. Spread vanilla ice cream on bottom, then top with cookies & cream then the chocolate, spreading all layers level. Top with thawed whipped topping, swirling top decoratively. Crush remaining 3 sandwich cookies and sprinkle over cake. Return to freezer; freeze overnight.
5. To serve, remove side of pan, then waxed paper. Cut into wedges.
From Family Circle Summer 2007