Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Twelve Days of Recipes-Day 3



Being a Grits myself- Girls Raised In The South., I was raised on grits. I love my grits with butter, salt and pepper. Add cheese and bacon to that and you've just become my best friend. Grits were served for breakfast on cold winter mornings, and they were a staple at our annual Christmas morning breakfast at my grandparent's home. Some people enjoy eating their grits with sugar and milk. I've never tried it served that way. I prefer to leave the sugar and milk in my oatmeal. I thought I'd heard of the only way to use grits- cooked in a pot and served in a bowl with your favorite toppings. That was until I was introduced to grits casserole. At the time I was working for a bank in my hometown of Covington. My fellow co worker and friend, Lerea would make this dish at our birthday breakfast celebrations. This casserole was always the HIT of the party.

Here's the grits casserole recipe:

1 1/2 c. milk
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. grits uncooked
1/2 tsp. salt
1 roll garlic cheese (6 0z) OR 6 oz. velveeta cheese and 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1 beaten egg
corn flake crumbs

Mix milk, water, grits, salt and cook until thick on top of stove. Stir in cheese, butter and egg.

Grease casserole dish and pour in mixture and cover with corn flake crumbs.

Bake 350 - 45 minutes

Enjoy the Taste of

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails